Sunday, July 08, 2007

Federer Is My Hero

It was last year when I dedicated an entry to Roger Federer, the greatest tennis player of all time. Well, 365 days and some change later, it's still the case. Sure, he hasn't beaten Rafa Nadal at Roland Garros, and, chances are, he'll never beat Rafa there. From today's match, it looks like Rafa is closer to topping Roger on Centre Court than Roger is at stopping Rafa in Paris. Still, I marvel at Roger's skills and abilities more than I have any other tennis player I've ever seen.

I loved Sampras, but there was a time that I rooted against him. He was imperfect. His backhand sucked, and all he had was his serve. And he had a level of arrogance that didn't sit well with me. Why? Because he didn't have all the shots. So, how can you deserve to be arrogant. With Roger, it's different. He's approaching history, and I want him to break every record because he deserves it. He's the best I've ever seen, and he's humble about it. Amazing. The history books need to declare Roger the greatest tennis player of all time. Better than Laver. Better than Sampras. Congrats, Mr. Federer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home